Top 10 most popular muscle cars
Hollywood movies made muscle cars very popular all over the world. To name a few there was “Gone in 60 seconds”, “Smokey and the Bandit”, ”The road warior”, “The last ride” and many other. American muscle cars are like a legends in nowadays and they were perceived as a symbol of strength and freedom. Here is the list of the most popular muscle cars which were output in the 1960s and the 1970s. The most common typical for these cars is the brake horse power BHP, small car with big engine and wild, masculine forms. Lets see the list:
1. Shelby GT500 Fastback-”eleanor” – in fact Shelby GT500 “eleanor” made for the movie “Gone in 60 seconds” on base of Ford Mustang 1967 Shelby GT500 Fastback. The old model was equiped with 4.8liter, V8 engine with 335 horsepower, in”eleanor” it was changed with Shelby Super Snake 7.0liter, V8 with 700 horsepower. I fact the old and new models are different cars, “eleanor” was not made in 60s or in 70s, but we made an exeption, because they are the ideals of “muscle car”, thats why they both are at first place.
2. Chevrolet camaro 1969 -“Style and performance were the hallmarks of the 1969 Camaro. In many ways this was the ultimate pony car.”, it regular model ss was eqiupted wiht 4.0, V8 engine with 375 horsepower, and the specific model ZL1 had 4.3 liter engine with 430 brake horse power, camaro ss reached 108.6 miles in 13 seconds and ZL1s perfomance achiwvwment was 0-60mph(~97kmh) acceleration in 5.2 seconds and 107mph in 12.8 seconds.
3. dodge charger 1970-”the Fast and the Furious” made this car a dream for youg muscle cars funs.In the crating process of this car manufacturers wanted to use the B-body for a sporty car with fastback look while sharing as much of their existing hardware as possible, these ideas comintation top was dodge charger500 1970 with 5.2liter, V8 engine which gained 425 horsepower
4. L88 Corvette -in 1956 engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov redesigned corvettes old model into the classic American muscle car. In 1967 he reinvented it again with the L88 engine option. L88 is one of the most powerfool “muscle car”. It has 4.3liters, V8 engine which gaines 430 horsepower. from 0 to 60mph(~97kmh) it reaches in 6.8 seconds.
5. 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C – is one of the most popular muscle car and the most desirable product of shelby. Its history begins as early as 1959 when Carol Shelby won 24 Hours of Le Mans. From 1965 ford began campaign to stay ahead of the Corvette and they to equped Shelby cobra with 4.25litres, V8 engine which gained 409.9 brake horse power. Shelby 427 can reach from 0 to 60 miles in 4.5 seconds, its top speed is 165 mph(~265.5 kph).
6.1970 Plymouth Hemi-Cuda -manufacturing Hemi-Cuda began in 1964. In 1970 redesingned Hemi-Cuda did not like previous versions, the original design was removed and new barracuda was consisted of coupe and convertible models. The new generation of Hemi-Cuda was equipted with 426 V8 hemi engine which gained 425bhp. It had 4 speed manual transmision and for acceleration from 0 to 60 miles needed 6.4 seconds, max speed barracuda could reach was 188.3 kph / 117.0 mph.
7. dodge challenger 1970 - this car was Dodge’s ”answer to the Mustang and Camaro.” Dodges this model and Plymouth Barracuda Chrysler E-body cars and were intended to compete against muscle cars like Mustang and Camaro. This car was a confluence of 1967 Mercury Cougar’s interior and Dodge Charger’s exterior, Although public received the Challenger well. Movie ”Vanishing Point” made this car more popular and Challenger takes seventh place in our list. This car equipted with hemi V8 engine could gain 425 brake horse power and could reach 108 mph in 13.2 seconds on 1\4 miles distance.
8. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 - is one of the most rarest and expensive car to date, only 858 Boss 429 were made. New hemi engine was made for this car to compete 426 Hemi from Chrysler in NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series. mustang’s body could not encopass heavy and massive Boss 429 engine, to work out this problem ford modified 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1 Mustangs and in result they got new model which become a legend off all time. New car’s Actual output was more then 500 horsepower, but manufacturers listed only 375hp because of legal issues. Boss 429 could accelerate from 0 to 60 miles in 6.8 seconds and 118 miles per hour.
9. 1970 chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS – Chevrolet began producing model Chevelle 1964 and it was one of the most successful nameplates for this manufacturer firm. Chevelle 454 SS was most popular and powerful modification of this model, with 454-cubic-inch(7.4 L) V8 whith 360 horsepower staundart form but a whopping 450 horses. Chevelle 454 ss’s 0 to 60mph(~97kmh) was 6.0 seconds and in 13 minutes this car could reach 105–108 mph (169–174 km/h).
10. 1972 Ford Grand Torino - our last tenth place took ford’s Grand Torino. This car was produsing during 1972-1976 years. This car was redesigned but it steel kept characteristics from previous Ford Torino generations. Movies “Namu, the killer whale”, “Grand Torino” accompliced this car population. The most powerful Grand Torino modification was equipted was 7.0 litres V8 engine and it coul reach 0 yo 60 mph (97 km/h) time of 6.8 seconds.