Legendary Dodge Charger was first was produced in 1966 and it was mid-sized automobile based on Chrysler B platform till 1975. This model is extremely popular in muscle car funs, movies like ” The Fast and The Furious” made it more popular.
1969 brought many modifications to Charger, now it was available with package R/T. The cars style was changed from flashback to a design of semi-fastback.
Top speed of R/T was 156 miles per hour and the car could accelerate form 0 to 60 miles in 6 seconds. The price of 1969 Dodge Charger R/T was nearly 3600$ in 1969.
The list of Top 10 Classic Muscle Cars created by me is compiled on classical characters. Small body, huge engine, demolish look and hundreds of bhp-these are the main attributes of muscle cars. All of the listed cars are legends and i maybe you have different mind of their positions, for this a have made a poll to make up your opinion.
1.1969 ZL1 Camaro (COPO) – our first place took this bad boy American beast, one of the rearest muscle cars, with 427 cu in (7 L) V-8 engine with 430 horepower(500 bhp). ZL1 could accelerate from 0 to 60 miles in 5.3 seconds and in 13.16 Camaro could beat quater of a mile, top speed was 125 mph.
2.1970 Dodge Challenger – This model was launched in 1970 and it was extremly popular. This car was intended to compete against cars like Mustang and Camaro. Challenger had many modifications but 7.0L HEMI V-8 engine with 426 bhp was most powerful. This car could go on 1/4 mile in 13.2 seconds. Dodge still produces the new generations oh Challenger.
3.The 1970 Buick GSX – Buick begun producing model Grand Sport in 1965. In 1970 the company offered potential clients new package GSX. The new high performance model GSX was equipped with 455 Big block V-8 engine the standard models engine gained 360 hp and number of horsepowers of stage 1 was 420. 1/4 mile GSX could beat in 13.3seconds
4.The 1969 Pontiac GTO – at first in 1964 when Pontiac GTO appeared it was considered as an inovation, nowadays it is an icon of classic muscle car. It was mostly foresaw on the young people. In 1969 car received a modest redesign that made him more impressionable, an old economy engine was changed with 6.3l V-8 one which could gain 350 horsepower. GTO became very popular and in 1969 was launched more powerful model with 6.5l engine with 366hp and more. GTO could accelerate 0-60 mph in 5.2, and quater mile could beat in 11.5 seconds.
5.1970 454 Chevelle SS - Chevrolet begun producing Chevelle in 1963. In 1970 new version of the model was launched. The car had 7.4L V-8 engine which gained 450 bhp. In 6 sceonds it could reach 60 miles per hour from o.
6.1971 Oldsmobile 442 – another plenipotentiary of classic muscle cars. This car was equipped with 350 cubic inches V-8 engine, had four speed manual gear box and twin exhausts.
7.1969 Ford Mustang ‘ Boss 429’ - i think everyone agrees that this car is the coolest non shelby musctang model also it is the rearest one. The engine of this car could gain 375 hp, the Boss can reach from 0 to 60 miles in 7.1 seconds.
8.1969 Dodge Charger 426 HEMI- one of the most popular muscle car, after “The fast and the furious” this car got more well-known for public. With the difference of its busic models which were equipted with 328-cid V-8 engine this modification was produced with V-8 426 hemi engine which could gain more then 425 horsepowers.
9.1968 L88 Corvette - this car one of the fastest muscle cars. The engine made by Zora Arkus-Duntov gained more than 500 horsepower. The top speed of this beast was 170 miles per hour and could pass 1/4 mile in 13.56.
10.1970 Plymouth Road runner HEMI -
this car took tenth position in your list. The Road runner is unabashed reflection of the times, it is not as attractive as Mustang, Corvette but still has impressionable technical characters, with his V-8 HEMI engine with 425 horsepower The Road runner could accelerate drom 0 to 60 miles in 5.6 seconds and quater of mile could beat in 13.49 seconds.
Here is the poll to choose your favorites:
General motors pruduced Corvettes six generation. The fisrt model of this sport car appeared in 1953 at the GM Motorama as a concept show car which was designed by Harley Earl, Myron Scott gave car name caorvette and the legend was born.
This modification was produced till 1962 and in 1963 new generation corvette replaced him. The top of this generation was 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427.
This beast was geared with 427 cu in (7.00 L) version Big Block, which could gain up to 425 horsepower. Corvette could hit km/ph in just 5.7 seconds and with this specifications it is one of the fastest cars of all time.
Corvette is one of the most popular model and the new models of this modification still is being pruduced and everyone is waiting new generation which will appeare in 2012.
This car was one of the most popular model and it is well known for all muscle car funs. Chrysler Corporation’s division Plymouth began producting this car in 1964. Barracuda departed three development steps: First generation from 1964 to 1966, sacond generation from 1967 to 1969 and third generation from 1970 to 1974.
Though the last generation Barracuda’s design was not original In contrast of his predecessors and its sales was not so Impressive, but manufacturers still managed to make the car that could be legend for all time. This was 1970 years modfication Plymouth Hemi-Cuda.
As we already said new generation barracuda’s design was’t original, it was allmost analogue of Dodge Challenger, and like this last one was produced to compete with cars like Mustang and Camaro. To say the truth neither Barracuda nor Challenger were ready to compete with such legends, but they still took their place in muscle cars history.
The most impressive modification of Barracuda was Hemi-Cuda 426 cubic inch(7.0l),V8 Hemi(Hamtramck Plant only) engine with 425 brake horse power. As we sad this car did not distinguished with its original design but we can audaciously say that it was one of the fastest muscle car. Hemi-Cuda could accelerate from 0 to 60 miles(~97kmh) in 6.0 seconds and its max speed was 117 miles per hour.
Fuel price rising and raised insuarence rates became fateful problems for Barracuda and its production ended 1 April of 1974, ten years to the day after first Barracuda was born.
Shelby GT 500 Eleanor – in spite of short exist history of this car, it is already legend and makes use of extrem popularity, it fast become the dream for all and especially muscle car funs. I think everyone is interested of Eleanor’s creation history and achievements. Lets begin from the top:
First Shelby GT 500 Eleanor appeared in movie “Gone in 60 seconds”
in film there is said that it is Shelby GT500 output in 1967, to say the truth eleanor is not Shelby GT500 mustang produced in 1967, in fact this car was created for this movie on base of 1967 mustang fastback model. Special graphic, grey wolfram, decorative design with two black stripes, like Shelby models were chosen to have the new car specific and demolish look, to be the muse for Hollywood Blockbusters.
First that producers of “Gone ib 60 seconds” foresee was that the muse of movie should be muscle car, as we talk about american film! Now they wanted the model for it. They thought that first generation Shelby GT 500 would be the best choice, but even for Hollywood blockbuster was impposible to get in tens of this car, as this model is one of the rearest one and they belong to auto clubs. Auto clubs would never alow to destroy this american icon. There are only 500 copies of Shelby GT500 of 1967 year.
The situation was too difficult though movie producers still found the solution. They decided to make a new car, based on the mustang fastback 1967. In tens of fastbacks were completly renewed and recoverded and in june of 2003 new car the Shelby GT 500 Eleanor was born.
The old fastback’s design was totally changed and in place of 4.3litres, V8, 335 horsepower engine Shelby Super Snake 7.0, V8, with 700 horsepower was put. At least Carroll Shelby allowed “Eleanor” to ware name “Shelby GT 500″.
“Gone in 60 seconds” had big Resonance and especially big ineterest caused appearence of “Eleanor”. This car became so popular that began micro manufactoring of it, all of manufactured cars were made on base of 1967 Fastback like eleanoras bodywork and with blessing of Carroll Shelby. The price of “Eleanor” was from 120000$ to 220000$.
Hollywood movies made muscle cars very popular all over the world. To name a few there was “Gone in 60 seconds”, “Smokey and the Bandit”, “The road warior”, “The last ride” and many other. American muscle cars are like a legends in nowadays and they were perceived as a symbol of strength and freedom. Here is the list of the most popular muscle cars which were output in the 1960s and the 1970s. The most common typical for these cars is the brake horse power BHP, small car with big engine and wild, masculine forms. Lets see the list:
1. Shelby GT500 Fastback-”eleanor” – in fact Shelby GT500 “eleanor” made for the movie “Gone in 60 seconds” on base of Ford Mustang 1967 Shelby GT500 Fastback. The old model was equiped with 4.8liter, V8 engine with 335 horsepower, in”eleanor” it was changed with Shelby Super Snake 7.0liter, V8 with 700 horsepower. I fact the old and new models are different cars, “eleanor” was not made in 60s or in 70s, but we made an exeption, because they are the ideals of “muscle car”, thats why they both are at first place.
2. Chevrolet camaro 1969 -“Style and performance were the hallmarks of the 1969 Camaro. In many ways this was the ultimate pony car.”, it regular model ss was eqiupted wiht 4.0, V8 engine with 375 horsepower, and the specific model ZL1 had 4.3 liter engine with 430 brake horse power, camaro ss reached 108.6 miles in 13 seconds and ZL1s perfomance achiwvwment was 0-60mph(~97kmh) acceleration in 5.2 seconds and 107mph in 12.8 seconds.
3. dodge charger 1970-”the Fast and the Furious” made this car a dream for youg muscle cars funs.In the crating process of this car manufacturers wanted to use the B-body for a sporty car with fastback look while sharing as much of their existing hardware as possible, these ideas comintation top was dodge charger500 1970 with 5.2liter, V8 engine which gained 425 horsepower
4. L88 Corvette -in 1956 engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov redesigned corvettes old model into the classic American muscle car. In 1967 he reinvented it again with the L88 engine option. L88 is one of the most powerfool “muscle car”. It has 4.3liters, V8 engine which gaines 430 horsepower. from 0 to 60mph(~97kmh) it reaches in 6.8 seconds.
5. 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C – is one of the most popular muscle car and the most desirable product of shelby. Its history begins as early as 1959 when Carol Shelby won 24 Hours of Le Mans. From 1965 ford began campaign to stay ahead of the Corvette and they to equped Shelby cobra with 4.25litres, V8 engine which gained 409.9 brake horse power. Shelby 427 can reach from 0 to 60 miles in 4.5 seconds, its top speed is 165 mph(~265.5 kph).
6.1970 Plymouth Hemi-Cuda -manufacturing Hemi-Cuda began in 1964. In 1970 redesingned Hemi-Cuda did not like previous versions, the original design was removed and new barracuda was consisted of coupe and convertible models. The new generation of Hemi-Cuda was equipted with 426 V8 hemi engine which gained 425bhp. It had 4 speed manual transmision and for acceleration from 0 to 60 miles needed 6.4 seconds, max speed barracuda could reach was 188.3 kph / 117.0 mph.
7. dodge challenger 1970 - this car was Dodge’s “answer to the Mustang and Camaro.” Dodges this model and Plymouth Barracuda Chrysler E-body cars and were intended to compete against muscle cars like Mustang and Camaro. This car was a confluence of 1967 Mercury Cougar’s interior and Dodge Charger’s exterior, Although public received the Challenger well. Movie “Vanishing Point” made this car more popular and Challenger takes seventh place in our list. This car equipted with hemi V8 engine could gain 425 brake horse power and could reach 108 mph in 13.2 seconds on 1\4 miles distance.
8. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 - is one of the most rarest and expensive car to date, only 858 Boss 429 were made. New hemi engine was made for this car to compete 426 Hemi from Chrysler in NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series. mustang’s body could not encopass heavy and massive Boss 429 engine, to work out this problem ford modified 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1 Mustangs and in result they got new model which become a legend off all time. New car’s Actual output was more then 500 horsepower, but manufacturers listed only 375hp because of legal issues. Boss 429 could accelerate from 0 to 60 miles in 6.8 seconds and 118 miles per hour.
9. 1970 chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS – Chevrolet began producing model Chevelle 1964 and it was one of the most successful nameplates for this manufacturer firm. Chevelle 454 SS was most popular and powerful modification of this model, with 454-cubic-inch(7.4 L) V8 whith 360 horsepower staundart form but a whopping 450 horses. Chevelle 454 ss’s 0 to 60mph(~97kmh) was 6.0 seconds and in 13 minutes this car could reach 105–108 mph (169–174 km/h).
10. 1972 Ford Grand Torino - our last tenth place took ford’s Grand Torino. This car was produsing during 1972-1976 years. This car was redesigned but it steel kept characteristics from previous Ford Torino generations. Movies “Namu, the killer whale”, “Grand Torino” accompliced this car population. The most powerful Grand Torino modification was equipted was 7.0 litres V8 engine and it coul reach 0 yo 60 mph (97 km/h) time of 6.8 seconds.
Are you wondering about The top 10 fastest muscle cars? Many variations have been combined into the term muscle car.According the ranking of Muscle Car Review Magazine tests results and measured by musclecarclub.com, also by other sources i have made the list of The top ten fastest muscle cars off all time. here is the list:
1. 1997 Dodge Viper GTS – 12.05 in 116, 6 speed. This car is the exception to the V8 engine car. The standard engine has an 8.0 liter and a V10 with 525-horsepower, 0-60 mph (97 km/h): 4.6 sec, top speed: 165 mph (266 km/h). This is the fustest muscle car now a day.
2. 1966 427 Cobra-12.20 in 118, 4 speed. This has Carroll Shelby’s (with Ford’s assistance) V8 engine with 425 horsepower.On a test done by a magazine, the 427 S/C managed to reach 0 to 100 mph on just 13.2 seconds, top speed:165 mph(266 km/h), 0-60mph(~97kmh) time: 4.5 sec.
3. 1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 – 12.8 in 113.8, 6 speed. This is an has an all-aluminum 5.7 liter with 32 valve engine with 405 horsepower . 0-60mph(~97kmh) time: 4.4 second
4. 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427 – 12.8 in 112, 4 speed, 390 bhp on 10.25:1 compression and 425 bhp via 11:1 compression. A 425 was also created for this outstanding muscle vehicle. 0-60mph(~97kmh) time: 5.6 seconds.
5. 1969 Plymouth Road Runner – 12.91 in 111.8, 4 speed. This car has a 440 horsepowerCID engine with three two-barrel carburetors. 0-60mph(~97kmh): 5.1 seconds
6. 1997 Pontiac Hurst/Firebird – 12.99 in 103.11, automatic. The only automatic in our line-up, this Pontiac has 350 horsepower. The first 1997 Grand Prix was built on August 12, 1996.
7. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Barracuda - 13.10 in 107.12, 4 speed. This muscle car boasts a 426 street hemi with 425 horsepower. 0-60mph(~97kmh) time: 5.6 seconds
8. 1992 Dodge Viper RT/10 - 13.1 in 108, 6 speed. Its first generation has a V10 engine and a 7.986 liter. This is another exception, yet this Viper is also classified as a muscle car. 0-60mph(~97kmh) time: 4.6 seconds, top speed 163mph
9. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 - 13.12 in 107.01, 4 speed. This car’s standard equipment included a V8 engine with 450 horsepower. 0-60mph(~97kmh) time: 6.1 seconds.
10. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro COPO 9560/ZL1 - 13.16 in 110.21, 4 speed. The COPO 9560/ZL1 was equipted wiht 7 litres, V8 engine which gained 430 hp. This engine made COPO one of the most fustest muscle cars.